The festive season is almost upon us, and for many of us, this means one thing, a camping adventure! Whether you are travelling to the coast, the bush, or the mountains, you are sure to have a great time. South Africa is amazing during this time of year, the people are more friendly than ever, the weather is hot, and you are guaranteed a good bit of sunshine.
About a week before you embark on your camping adventure, there are a few things on your caravan that need to be checked. Take a look at our Gecko Xtreme caravan safety checklist below.
- Check your tyre pressure. For the Gecko Xtreme, this is 3bar on tar, 2bar on gravel and 1.8bar on sand.
- Check for signs of wear and cracks on your tyre side walls. It is important to replace tyres both on your vehicle and caravan every six years.
- Check your wheel nuts, for the Gecko Xtreme this should be 115NM.
- Check the coupler head nuts, bolts and the grease on the coupler shaft.
- Plugin your taillights and make sure they are working.
- Check that the 7-pin plugs on your caravan and tow vehicle are clean and corrosion free. You can use Q20 to lubricate this if needed.
- Check the tow ball nuts and bolts on your tow vehicle and make sure they are secure.
Once these have been checked, you are all set and ready, and if there is a problem you have enough time to fix it. We also have two checks that should be done on the day you leave, these include:
- When hooking our caravan onto your tow vehicle check, double check and triple check that the tow hitch is properly secured onto the tow ball. You don’t want to drive off and leave your caravan behind!
- Make sure your jockey wheel is up and secured.
Now that everything has been checked all that is left to do is to travel safely, surround yourself with family and friends, wear your mask and enjoy all that the festive season has to offer.
From our Gecko Offroad family, we would like to wish you all a very happy festive season. We cannot wait to share more camping adventures with you in 2021.